PODS Packing Tips
We have come up with some handy tips when packing up your items for either storage of moving.
See our PODS Packing Tips document if you want to download them to print.
- Protect your valuables. Make sure you always use bubble wrap or packing paper to box up your valuable items. Newspaper can leave ink on your items – which can be difficult to remove.
- Start early and pack smart. Identify the items that you aren’t currently using (seasonal clothing, home decorations, extra bedding) and begin loading your moving boxes with those items.
- Protect your mattress. If you’re planning on moving a mattress, make sure to use a mattress cover. Not only do they help protect your mattress from dust, dirt and stains – the built-in vents will make sure your mattress doesn’t have a strong odour when it’s unpacked.
- Remember your back. When packing moving boxes, consider how heavy the end result will be. Pack books in smaller boxes to ensure you’re able to carry the box when full.
- Get the right packaging supplies for the job. There are dozens of options for different moving boxes and packaging supplies.
Perfect packing made easy
- Prepare an inventory list while you are packing, it only takes a few minutes and will help you stay organised.
- It’s a good idea to pack valuable and essential items separately and keep these items with you.
- Pack as much as you can into each box and be sure to use packing paper to reduce empty spaces as well as provide protection for your belongings. This will also help loading your PODS container.
- Make sure to fill each box to capacity, but not to the point where the top and sides bulge when closed. Always reinforce the bottom of each box with tape.
- Use moving pads or moving blankets to protect furniture. Boxes, moving pads and other supplies are available on the PODS packaging page on this website.
- Use the conveniently placed eyehooks inside your PODS container to secure your belongings one section at a time. Be sure to spread the weight of the contents evenly throughout the container and use all available space.
- Label boxes to make unloading and unpacking simple and efficient.
- To maximise the available space in your PODS container, turn sofas on end and fill hollow items such as refrigerators, washers and dryers.
- Use the spaces between the beams to pack pictures, mirrors and other similarly shaped items; this will create a tighter fit to help protect these items.
- Mix small items with larger items to fill spaces. Don’t save all your boxes for the end.
- Heavy items should be on the bottom and lighter items can go on top.
- Put heavy items in smaller boxes for easier lifting. Lightweight items can go in larger boxes.
- Secure your PODS® container with your padlock when it is unattended.